Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My Bloomin' Jade



A step outside my door (the only one in my little cottage) and a few steps along my garden walk will bring you to one of the bloomers this time of year.  My jade trees. Since it doesn't freeze here, they grow and grow and grow.  If given enough water, their leaves are fat and juicy. Since I plant shade-loving plants like ferns and cyclamen under them, they get plenty of water.  It's a lovely walk down my garden path with plants peeking out from under the jade trees.





They are like any succulent. They have small root systems. With my generous watering, they can grow more than five feet high. One winter when the heavy rains came, I had quite a surprise. My jade trees started to fall over. The ground was too wet, their heads too heavy.  The first one fell into my doorway.  I opened my door to check on the heavy rain and there it lay. It gave a real jolt of pain to see one of my friends uprooted and laying the ground.  That winter at least two more fell.  It was an unexpected change to my garden path. I had to rethink my garden that spring.



 I am a bit more experienced with the nuances of the jade tree.  It needs to be well pruned, under four feet.  Otherwise, the soft soil of the winter rains bring them down.  I've had others to fall since that first winter. I want to keep the rest for the shade they offer to my garden plants and for the beautiful white flowers they bring in winter.





Their blossoms look like little white stars. So bright, so light on gloomy winter days. And the fat, luscious leaves are contrast to the blossoms well-worth waiting a year for.




Jade with fern and amaryllis leaf




When they are at the height of their bloom, the petals and pistils turn a light shade of pink, reflecting the blossoms' stems of reddish hue.  The edges of the jade leaves join in the melody of red at the edges of their leaves.  Such a wonderful climax to the bloom-time.



This part of the bloom bush is almost gone by. The blossoms are drying up and fading away, while some others are still in bud to give a refreshing look at more white stars.



Already in December there were masses of buds and some blooms. I crept out of my sick bed to take some photos.  If you look into the blur on the right of the photo you can see the blooms still green, deep within their bud-beds.



Still nascent blooms beside the open stars.  This is my favorite time of their bloom, when there is so much promise in all the buds soon to become white stars.

I am at last recuperating from the flu.  As with those nasty bugs, they linger far longer than they are welcome.  But my body is playing a fugue.  When one illness/problem goes away, another emerges in similar theme. different voice. I now have frozen shoulder syndrome, a very painful condition of the shoulder that affects the whole arm and limits range of motion.  Thus, I am not able to post or comment as much as I used to. Please forgive me.  I miss my blogging hours, which I now have to limit to every few days.  Hopefully this fugue will end soon and I can begin a new healthy body oboe sonata.

25 comments:

Carol said...

First I want to say how sorry I am for your fugues! I hope you have good therapy for your shoulder. Speedy recovery to you Marydelle! This is a lovely post! Your blooming sedum is just magical with all those stars. Having buds and full blooms going at the same time ... my favorite part of any plants blooming stage too. Beautiful photos. Take good care! Carol

Anonymous said...

Marydelle, I hope you are feeling better. The Jade plants have been especially beautiful this winter...your photos are great.

LeSan said...

Ah, Mary that's aweful. I'm sorry to hear you have to struggle with this. I hope it passes soon for you.
I had the flu as well and while it wasn't so bad I thought it was a clinging little gutter snipe of a bug. Please rest and take care of yourself.

Your jade trees look amazing. I have never actually seen one blooming. Your garden path must be so enchanting to walk down. Love it!!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I also hope you are feeling much better soon. Your sedum is lovely indeed and would be a treat along the garden path. I had one once, but it croaked. I had had it for years in a pot. I never did see it bloom though, so seeing yours in bloom is a real treat! You shared a wonderful set of photos.

Looking forward to hearing your oboe sonata soon. Be well.

FlowerLady

Jo said...

Sorry to hear that you are under the weather again. It seems that we just get over one thing when another strikes. I love the little star flowers of your Jade. I didn't realise they grew so tall.

Victoria said...

Gorgeous post! they are so pretty..especially as buds..i just love them before they are about to flower!Hope you feel all better soon!Wishing you harmony and joy!
Kiki~

Jean Campbell said...

Jade plants are seen only in containers here. Such beautiful trees must be restorative to you, first stop on the road to complete recovery.

Noelle Johnson said...

I hope you are feeling better soon. I love the Jade plants and they remind me of the plants that my mother always grew when I was a child in SoCal.

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

I've never seen a blooming jade! Lovely, delicate flowers! I'm glad you are done with a flue. Take care!

Diana Studer said...

Look after your shoulder. Next time the jade plant falls over, remember the bits will root. In fact, if you don't get around to planting the bits, they will just send roots down sideways from the stem. Or you tidy it up a bit and spread it around. (Mine has faded, from neglect, and apparently lack of water. Poor plant!)

sweetbay said...

I hope you feel better soon -- frozen shoulder is so painful.

The jade is beautiful. I've never seen one in bloom before.

Deborah at Kilbourne Grove said...

Mary Delle, I am sorry to hear that you are still not entirely wwell. Please take care of yourself.

James David said...

Jade plant is very elegant. A friend had bought one for me. I thought this one would rot if over-watered but realised that yours had done so well.
Thanks for sharing this.

Kate said...

It's good to hear you're over the flu. Those viruses have been awful, this year. Hope you recover from your shoulder issues real soon. The jade flowers are lovely. I didn't know jade blooms. Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos.

Kathy said...

Certainly extra special this post ... do hope for a full recovery for you, your shoulder and look forward to your posts. It is so wonderful to see a jade in bloom. Thank you so much for sharing these beautiful photos. My "houseplant" jade has bloomed only once - and I still can't believe it. They are like little stars.

Reading Tea Leaves said...

I hope your shoulder gets better very soon Marydelle - make sure you get plenty of rest.
The Jade is such a pretty plant, I love its fat luscious leaves! My favourite time is when plants and trees come into bud - a time of hope and renewal.

Take care. Jeanne

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
France Guérin said...

Hello Mary Delle,
I hope things are getting better for you,
take care,
Lovely pictures, nice to see somme blooming action!
France

Chloe m said...

I am sorry I have not been over here sooner. I hope you are on the mend soon. Take care of yourself and know that I am hoping and praying for you.

Rosey

Stone Art's Blog said...

Wow these are some great blooms!

Stone Art's Blog said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bangchik and Kakdah said...

In time of sickness, a beautiful flower and fragrance will sooth the ache.. ~bangchik

Victoria said...

Hi Mary..just thought I'd pop in..and say hello! I miss your blog..hope you are doing well and I look forward to the magic of your garden you will share in the future! Have a wonderful day!
Kiki~

Sunray Gardens said...

These are really beautiful. Wish I could grow them outside. I am following you now.
Cher
Goldenray Yorkies

Jess said...

I have had one of these for years and have never seen in bloom. What am I doing wrong?!