Monday, October 19, 2009

My Blue Glory Bower



The Glory Bower Bush is one of the gems of my garden. I keep it in a pot, as I've not a sunny enough spot to give it the room it would like to grow in. But it does happily in a pot.

It's Latin name is Clerodendrum ugandense, from the Verbena family. It can grow to 8 feet high and 8 feet wide and doesn't mind being trmmed back to 2-3 feet high to become bushier.  Right now I keep it at 3-4 feet high and will trim it as it finishes blooming. It loves lots of water, which is another reason I keep it in a pot, so that it doesn't dry out in our heat waves.

It's buds are tight little ovals when preparing for bloom. They can even have a little color.  They cluster tight together.





As they prepare to bloom the buds spread out into the air.




The plant is originally from Africa, actually Kenya, rather than Uganda, as the name suggests. There has been some controvery about the Latin name. Now it seems to be called Clerodendrum myricoides 'Ugandense.'
It will take light shade and handle temperatures to 20 degrees F.

All parts of the plant are poisonous, so don't try to take a snack on this plant.  Another relative to this bush. C. trichotomym is used in Chinese herbal medicine for a variety of ailments.

         

The spiders enjoy it too.

In my garden it is very exciting when it blooms as its flowers are so spectacular, even though small. They look like butterflies with different colored blue petals and pistils that unfurl themselves like the anthers of a butterfly.  Butterflies and bees love them and can often be found hvering around them when they are in bloom.

Now for the glory of its blooms and a few shots of the plant in larger perspective. Enjoy.



 

 

 

17 comments:

Victoria said...

What beautiful and charming plants..so pretty! I love being introduced to ene thigns..so thank you! Wow, your shots and closeups are truly awesome Mary! Great post!

Thomas said...

What a beautiful flower! I find there there are never enough blues enough blues in the garden.

Chloe m said...

Hi Mary Delle,
First of all, love your new header. Bird of paradise=much beauty!
Your blue glory bower is a flourishing under your green thumb. They are such a remarkable blue!
Rosey

Jan said...

I grow this also, and love the bright blue flowers. Mine will freeze back to the roots in the winter, but with a heavy mulching returns early each spring.

Jan
Always Growing

Wendy said...

ooooh, that flower is so cool!

James David said...

these flowers look so much like little blue angels. They are so cute. Thanks for sharing.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

That is one gorgeous little flower with a stunning blue ! Some of us in colder climates are obsessed with finding the perfect blue flowered plant here .. such as the Himalayan poppy .. but I'm happy with my Jack Frost brunnera filling that job for me : )
Great pictures !
Joy

Linda said...

I'm not familiar with this plant. What interesting blooms it has. So delicate looking.

teresa said...

THat is such a pretty and delicate flower. The color alone is enough to make me love it. Thanks for showing us. I had never heard of it before.

Joanne said...

Lovely dainty blue flowers.

cherry said...

That is a beautiful little blue flower love it ! hugs, Cherry

Yan said...

Beautiful, just beautiful and a totally new plant for me, so many thanks for the info. Yan

Jackie said...

I've never seen a glory bower before. What an amazing blue flower!

Anonymous said...

This is so lovely little flower but the whole plant is rather large - you need a big garden for it.
Im sure it looks lovely in your garden.

Jo said...

What a beautiful flower. I've never heard of this plant before.

Urban Green said...

What a lovely delicate plant! Is it a shade plant?

Anonymous said...

This plant is new to me. The flowers are very pretty.