Monday, October 5, 2009

They Survived!!

I think the assaults on my garden are over for now. The tree trimmers came, destroyed two plants, but, praise heaven, they're gone.  For those of you who have been following this blog, you know my garden has lived through drought, heat, Santa Anna winds, house painters, now tree trimmers. The live oak they trimmed is just above my garden. And I've got some survivors. Can you believe it?!  I've got some beautiful survivors. As I touched up their pictures to show you, I got so excited. Doesn't matter to the garden. They ARE gonna survive. Boy, can I learn a lesson.

My pride and joy is my peony rose. I've no idea what her real name is, as she was a gift from the weekly market. But her bloom is such a knock-out, so full, so fragrant, that I call her the peony rose.



 

 

 Wait until you see the blossoms that are still singin their hearts out. I honor them here.





Dragon Wing Begonia

Bird of Paradise
 

 
Echinicea
 
Begonia

Crown of Thorns





Cranesbill Geranium

Some of my champions are leaves. I'm just busting to share them with you. They're going great guns. Who'd a thought.


 Purple Oxalis
 
 Persian Shield
 
 Forget-me-not
  
Staghorn Fern

Ornamental Sweet Potato Vine

I could tell you a little story about each one. The Persian Shield lost half the plant from the tree trimmers. But this beautiful half remains. The forget-me-nots have spread to almost cover this plants. No stopping them in all this drought and heat.

The cranesbilll geranium has not stopped blooming through everything. It even has lots of buds, just as my peony rose does. That bird of paradise just keeps on giving blooms. It, too, has its beak-like buds yet to open. 

I learn so much about how to live from my garden. There will be survivors. Surviving will happen. Hurrah for the garden, one of my very best friends. Hurrah for the survivors.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary,
You have some beautiful blooms.
It's amazing what happens to a gardner isn't it? I went through two floods and many bugs this year.
Still the garden came through.
vickie

Scott & Liz said...

mary delle, Persian Sheild is one of my all time favorites. Try to save the wounded half, they root pretty easily. Glad the landscape survived the trimmers from hell.
Scott

Chloe m said...

Mary Delle,
I would never have been able to tell what these plants have been through, they still look great to me. I understand why the peony rose is your fave, it is so pretty!
Rosey

tina said...

Hi Mary Delle, I enjoyed your post so much and your peony rose very much, but when I got to the end of your post you really had my heart because of what you said you learn from your garden. The will of plants to live and thrive is such an admirable quality and it is so amazing just what they can live through. We all should learn from our gardens. I noticed you have many of the same plants I have, like the purple oxalis and geraniums. I wish my geraniums would go gangbusters here-they languish. What is the secret?

Noelle Johnson said...

Wow! You cannot tell from your photos that your garden has had tough times. You must be a fabulous gardener....

Anonymous said...

These plants look so beautiful! The color of the rose is lovely. Forget-me-nots are one of my favorite flowers, so tiny and delicate.

Joanne said...

I love your peony rose and glad you survived the upheavel

Liz said...

Hi Mary, such beautiful blooms!!! I can understand having a garden facing so much adversary ;) I appreciate your advice on my blog! Just realized i have Persian shield cuttings from a friend, they are not doing so well--do they propagate well from cuttings? And do they prefer shade?
thank you,happy gardening,
Liz

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

That peony rose is beautiful. I love scented roses, they just touch me somehow.

You've got some lovely bloomers and some colorful foliage.

Enjoy ~ FlowerLady

Balisha said...

Hi Mary Delle,
Thanks for leaving the comment on my blog this morning. I am always happy to have a new reader. I thought that I would come and see what you are up to.Learning from your garden is what it is all about. Love that peony rose.
Balisha

Thomas said...

I love getting a lesson on ornamentals every time I visit your blog. I get so caught up in vegetables that sometimes I forget how much flowers can add to an kitchen garden. Nice work!

P.S. I love the crown of thorns photo!

Ellie Mae's Cottage said...

Your plants have all recovered nicely! You are obviously a talented gardener. -Jackie

Olive Branch said...

Love your staghorn fern and the oxalis! You have some beautiful plants in your garden!

GP @ ABloominBlog said...

Beautiful photos! You must have a gorgeous garden. I'm in Canada, and the snow will fly soon, so I'll be sure to come back your blog to see your lovely shots and be reminded of the warm weather.